+ Reply to Thread

Monitor Won't Turn on With Desktop Computer.

My monitor won't come out of stand-by mode when I turn my computer on. When I unplug the DVI/VGA cable, a message will pop up on my monitor saying "check video cable". I've read through a few forums to try and find a solution, but no luck. I can't access my computer or any of its settings, obviously cause I cannot see anything. I checked my video card to see if it's working by checking it's fan or something that will show if it's initiating, but there's nothing to see (no fan, lights, noises, etc.) Some help would be much appreciated!

My computer is an Acer Aspire.

My computer is a desktop. I tried to plug my computer into my TV which I was once using with a VGA cable but it didn't pick up a single. I tried both VGA and HDMI. But to be more clear on what my monitor is doing and what is says: VGA Input: No Signal - DVI Input: No Signal. But like I said when I unplug either DVI/VGA, it'll say "check video cable". I'm not sure what to do.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just saying its an Acer Aspire desktop doesn't give us much to go on. What is the exact model??

I checked my video card to see if it's working by checking it's fan or something that will show if it's initiating, but there's nothing to see (no fan, lights, noises, etc.) Some help would be much appreciated!
    Well even if the fans or lights on the card were working it doesn't mean the card is. Do the lights or fans on the rest of the system come on? Any signs that the PC is actually working?
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Yes, the computer's fans come on as if it was working in perfect condition. The exact model is the Acer Aspire M5640. Would you like to see the specs for it as well?
    Last edited by Jaahii; April 19th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    You mention a video card, did you add one or are you using the integrated graphics? If you are using an add-on card take it out and see if you get any signal from the integrated card.

My computer came with a graphics card (ATI Radeon HD3450 - 256MB). I removed the graphics card and attempted to use the integrated graphics via VGA and HDMI, on the monitor and TV. No luck.

Blog Entries
    You may have to reset the bios in order for it to go back to the default and use the on-board graphics. To do that there should be a jumper next to the quarter sized battery on the motherboard. Make sure everything is unplugged and move the jumper switch or just remove the batter for 5-10mins. Then connect everything back up and see. If you still don't get video then we may be looking at some more serious issues.

I assume the computer was working just fine, no errors or signs that something might be failing??

Yes the computer was working just fine. I see the quarter-sized battery on the motherboard, but I don't see a jumper switch anywhere.

Blog Entries
    Just take the battery out for a few mins then

I took the battery out for 5-10 minutes then put it back in. I plugged into my monitor with VGA via integrated graphics. There was still nothing.

Did you check to make sure that your monitor cable is securely plugged into both the computer AND the monitor?

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Did you check to make sure that your monitor cable is securely plugged into both the computer AND the monitor?
    Of course.

Can anyone else tell me what's going on maybe?

Blog Entries
    What exactly where you doing when all this happened?

Do you have a another system or spare parts you can test? At this point it looks like something else might have died inside your PC or you have some other issues going on and troubleshooting is going to be your only option.

I wasn't doing anything. I went to turn my computer on after I turned it off for the night but my display wasn't working. I'll troubleshoot with my friends computer since he offered to lend it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information