+ Reply to Thread

PC shutting down on its own.

Hi,
    Last week I upgraded to windows 7 from vista. After updating I upgraded all my drivers and bios. After updating everything seemed fine until yesterday while on Starcraft 2 my computer just shut off. It does not turn off when I am actually playing the game but when I stay on the Game Menu for about 5-10 minutes. The fans in my computer get really loud but that is nothing new and happens when I play any newer game. What is new is when I do turn the computer back on the fans are blasting like they do before it shuts down. The fans blast for about a minute and then slow down. This doesn't happen when I normally boot my PC up. The PC hasn't turned off while playing any games but I want to fix this problem before it gets worse and my warranty ends in 3-4 months. At first I thought it was my CPU overheating so I cleaned out all the dust from box and checked the temp with Speedfan. Everything is running around 50 degrees Celsius with my CPU at 70. Even when in Starcraft 2 it only goes up to 75 which is lower than my PC usually runs at(was running a little warmer before I cleaned out dust last week). I have tried changing power strips, plugging the PC right into the wall, Changed the power cord. Overheating does not seem to be an issue, Dust has been cleaned out of case. Anyone have a clue why my computer keeps shutting down?

The PC is only a year and a half old.
    DELL Studio XPS
    Windows 7 (Originally had Vista)
    Intel Core i7 2.6ghz
    6gb DDR3 RAM
    SAMSUNG 620GB
    ATI 4850 HD with Dual DELL Monitors.
    Service Tag on Dell is 51LNNK1 if it helps

Any help is greatly appreciated ill be checking back every few hours.
    Last edited by Fconti89; May 21st, 2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: mistake

A. in my opinion, 70 is too hot for prolonged periods...
    My rule of thumb is...
    30's are great
    40's are good
    50's are acceptable
    60's are pretty warm
    70's on up are something to look into fixing...
    B. Use WhoCrashed to determine what the dumps may say... (probably nothing since there doesn't seem to be a bluescreen)
    C. Check the bios to see what the temperature shutdown limit is set to.

I may be wrong about the temperature. I assumed Temp 1 in speedfan was my CPU but now a friend told me it might not be. In Speedfan I have the following temperatures

Temp1:72
    Temp2:44
    Temp3:-49
    HD0: 34
    Core0: 50
    Core1: 46
    Core2: 47
    Core3:47

Temp 1 is the only temp that increases and decreases when I play games. All others stay around 47-51. I am gonna run the WhoCrashed now.

If thats the case its more likely the videocard temp, and that's more typical...
    You'll have to try CPU-Z and GPU-Z to determine which is the higher temp.
    And remember, that's just a software reading of a questionable hardware sensor... NOT always accurate.
    Download CPU-Z 1.57.1 - FileHippo.com
    Download GPU-Z 0.5.3 - FileHippo.com
    or Speccy
    Download Speccy 1.10.248 - FileHippo.com

WhoCrashed came up with "No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer"

Also I just restarted my comp and went into BIOS but could not find any information on the temp shutdown limit. I checked every category and subcategory. When turning on the PC before showing Windows it says F2 = Setup. This is where the BIOS are located right?

However I did find online somewhere that said the Core i7 temp limit is 100 but I can't confirm the source.

Ok so realized speedfan actually was not showing me my GPU temp.

Just ran Speccy and that temp must be my MB. My Temps are

CPU-50
    MB-70
    HD-37
    GPU-86... However I just sat on the SC2 Menu and it eventually got up to 119. (had Speccy opened up on my other monitor)
    I looked away for a second and my computer turned off. I am going to try it again and see if it shuts down around 120. Could there be a temp limit on the GPU and if it is what can I do to lower the temp? I dont have room for any additional fans there are currently 2 fans in the case not including the PSU fan and fan built on GPU.

Also while in the SC2 Menu all other temps increase only a few degrees.
    Last edited by Fconti89; May 21st, 2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Wrong Temps

OK so it seems to be shutting down when the GPU hits 120 degrees... I planned on replacing it in a few months anyway so I can play the newest games on a higher quality. Should I bother going with Dell Warranty? I heard the video cards they use aren't the same quality as the ones you can buy. Since I probably going to need a new card can anyone recommend any quality cards that run cooler? my Budget is 200-400 but I would prefer to spend no more than 300.

It may not be that simple...
    You may likely need to upgrade the PSU at the same time unless its more than up to the upgrade's needs.
    Did you remove the card and make sure its clean as well?
    I would take the side off the case and set a house/box fan blowing toward it and see if that keeps it from shutting down...
    Just taking the side off can hinder airflow more than help in some cases so you HAVE to add the fan...

Ah, that explains why ALL temps went up after removing the side(and not using a fan). I tried this earlier today but at the time I thought it was the CPU and was only using Speedfan which was not showing my GPU temp.

I just ran the Starcraft 2 Menu for over an hour with a pretty large fan pointed directly at the video card. It kept the GPU at 105-108 the entire time and it never forced a shutdown. With nothing running and using fan my GPU stayed at 75 degrees. Everything else stayed normal.

I let GPU cool down I tried it without the fan and the case shut and once again, after about 10 minutes on the Starcraft 2 menu my PC shutdown. I also used a program to run the GPU's fan at a constant 95% because it would only turn up over 50% if the card was over 110. The fan was definitely louder than usual but still eventually Speccy showed 120 degrees on GPU; few seconds later PC shutdown.

Also I see I have extra slots around my GPU. Could I install two slot fans to keep it cool? One below and one above. This Dell case does not have a fan in the front bringing air in and I don't think I can fit a fan anywhere other than in a PCI slot. There is some room in the bottom-front of the case but no Vents. I believe the PSU brings air in though.
    Last edited by Fconti89; May 22nd, 2011 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Additional Question

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information