+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

computer loading very slow

Windows XP media center - version 2002 - sp3

computer very slow to load and open programs & websites. Ran Hi-Jack-This.

Where can I get it analyzed ?

Thanks

I post per subject.

HijackThis Analyzer & Tutorial
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Thank you! I'll try one of those.

If it comes up clean (as I think it will) do you have any thoughts on why it would be starting slowly and loading websites very slow?

It was clean.

Well, Hijack This is not the last word anymore. I haven't seen it recommended here in a while.

What is your virus scanner?
    Did you run it with System Restore turned off? Boot scan, or safe mode?

Try these 2 spyware scanners, in safe mode, with System restore, turned off,

<a href="http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html?rid=4348">SuperAntiSpyware</a>.com - Downloads

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

I use both of the listed virus scanners, but I have never used them in safe mode with system restore turned off.

I will do both, but I won't be able to get back to you until tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.

I ran both scans just as you instructed - system restore off, safe mode. Since I already have both programs installed it was easy. Both came out clean.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a lot of crap running in the task bar? Install this and go to the control panel, double click the icon and you can see all the crap that may be loading.

Mike Lin's Home Page

I installed the program and not much at all is loading. My anti-virus programs and of course ctfmon.exe, which always comes back no matter how many times I delete it. So, there are only about 5 thing loading.

CCleaner

There is a thing called LSO cookies, super cookies, or Flash cookies, that uses flash player to regenerate any cookies that you delete.

I use Better Privacy add on to get rid of them in Firefox.
    Not sure how you get rid of them, with other browsers.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty much a novice and have only used IE.

Does anyone have any more ideas. I don't mind the computer and the programs loading slow as much as I do the websites. Just now on this website it took some time to wait for everything to load up, until it said "done" at the bottom of the page. It won't let me move the curser at all, until it's finished.

At this point you should really try another browser.
    It will tell you if the slowdown is just the browser, of if it is a Windows problem, besides you may like another browser, better.

I've never heard anybody say, they liked IE better than anything else, once they tried it.
    If you can run one browser, you can run them all.

There are other things to try, like rkill, in case a spyware program is not shutting down, or a Linux Virus scanner, like Avira Antivirus Rescue System.

It sounds like a browser problem to me.
    Your browser, is searching through cookies, or following commands of spyware.

I use Fire Fox, but Chrome is supposed to be good also, as well as a few others.

If it is a real Windows problem, you have to ask, what takes longer, searching for the problem, with all these programs, or formatting and reinstalling windows.
    What is guaranteed to fix it, and what might or might not.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

How about free "tool bars"? Got any of those?
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

I ran a search and it shows a lot of toolbars.
    (6) Google toolbars - Google, Cache, DNS history, Google toolbar installer, updater,signed. In Doc's & settings-app data - Google toolbar notifier - Prog files

(8) Custom toolbar & toolbar - in docs & settings - temp directory1 f/ewp182.zip\ewpx-win-_2_1-ea23\Data2.cab

(15) RA Server toolbar & RA toolbar - in C:\Windows Service pack files, %Ntservicepackuninstall% & PC health

Toolbar 1313199263234.SWF - Mac Flash player

Custom toolbar - Canon printer

I don't know what some of these mean except for the one for the Canon printer, a Google search box, & the IE toolbar.

Ultimate Member
    when was the last time windows was install? XP slows down after a while
    because of programs loading ,installing ,and deleting files.

XP just gets bloated [ may be time to reinstall windows ]

you can stop a program from running by not letting it load when the
    computer starts by using msconfig which should help some what

How to use MSCONFIG in Windows XP: NetSquirrel.com

Thanks so much for the info. I only have 4 things running on startup. Windows was installed on my computer 2 yrs ago.

I really hate to do a reinstall b/c I have all my financial data for online banking on the computer. I do back it up every time I go into the program but when I've had to reload it, it's a mess. So much of a pain that I'd rather have a slow computer than having to deal with it.

Maybe you're correct about it being bloated. I just try to take such good care of it. I always run "disk cleanup" and do defrags. I also have great security programs. I don't go to weird web pages or things like that. I always install my updates. I also have plenty of space. Not a ton of documents or pictures.

I guess I was hoping someone would suggest something I haven't thought of. But thanks for your help.

Get rid of every tool bar, except for the ones you need, Probably none.
    Tools bars are spyware you approve, to install on your computer.

I never install them.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Run this and post your log. HijackThis - Trend Micro USA

HijackThis Log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 10:11:19 AM, on 9/8/2011
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBPIMSvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
    C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG111v3\WG111v3.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = MSN.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = Bing
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = Bing
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = MSN.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: Canon Easy-WebPrint EX BHO - {3785D0AD-BFFF-47F6-BF5B-A587C162FED9} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\ewpexbho.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: Canon Easy-WebPrint EX - {759D9886-0C6F-4498-BAB6-4A5F47C6C72F} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\ewpexhlp.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBAMTray] "C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Binaries\MSCONFIG.EXE /auto
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] "C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG111v3 Smart Wizard.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG111v3\WG111v3.exe
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://cdn.scan.onecare.live.com/res...scbase6886.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsof...?1238543960270
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E77F23EB-E7AB-4502-8F37-247DBAF1A147} - http://gfx1.hotmail.com/mail/w4/pr01...l/MSNPUpld.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E8F2FD65-4CA1-4E1E-BE81-A2D0A7C4D9CC} (GetInfo Class) - https://esupport.trendmicro.com/_lay.../GetVBInfo.cab
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: SAS Core Service (!SASCORE) - SUPERAntiSpyware.com - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Canon Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Fax Extended Survey Program (IJPLMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Canon\IJPLM\IJPLMSVC.EXE
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: VIPRE Antivirus Premium (SBAMSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: SB Recovery Service (SBPIMSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBPIMSvc.exe
    O24 - Desktop Component 1: (no name) - Sign In
    --
    End of file - 5419 bytes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information