+ Reply to Thread

cant get past bios on new comp.

ok, so i have had experience with replacing parts to my computer, but i finally decided to build my own. the first time i finished it. it would get to bios, but even though my hdd and dvd drive would show up it wouldn't let me boot from my windows 7 disk. so i connected the HDD to my old computer. and installed the OS that way. i switched out the dvd drives on the new computer before doing this, to make sure it wasnt the dvd drive and got the same result. so after installing windows 7 on it i replaced it back into the new computer with the same end result. that being ending up at a purely black screen with a blinking hyphen in the upper lefthand corner after passing the bios screen. i called a friend and he suggested taking it completely apart and rebuilding it. i did that and now the monitors wont register and it turns on and off after about 10 seconds. 3 long beeps every time. so im going to take it apart again, and connect the mother board to my old computer, make sure it works. before connecting it back to the new one. one more thing is when i took apart the new computer i pulled out the cmos for about 2 minutes, before putting it again. i doubt it could be that. another note is even when i completely disconnected the harddrive i still got the blnk screen with the blinking hyphen. ive tried searching all day yesterday, so im sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. thanks for the help in advanced.

case:
    COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

hardware:
    motherboard-MSI X79MA-GD45 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

cpu-Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73820

dvd drive-LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

HDD-Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL

sound card-ASUS Xonar Essence STX Virtual 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface 124 dB SNR / Headphone AMP Card

heatsink-Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

psu-corsair GS700

Gfx card- geforce 560 ti

Welcome to TechIMO!

What a mess, you can't use another computer to install the operating system, the drivers and devices are different.

Did you go into the BIOS of the new computer, and set the DVD to BOOT first????????
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

I would start by resetting the BIOS, and see if you get there.

When you get there, see if your HDD shows up in the BIOS. From there, you need to do a clean install of Win7. If you can't get that far, then you have other problems.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; March 3rd, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

nope

i figured that, but i had to make sure it wasnt the hard drive. pretty much what happens is, in the bios, i can see that the cpu is working and it says i have an sata dvd drive and hdd connected and their names. but when i go boot from... with both the dvd drive and hdd, it goes to the black screen with the blinking hyphen in the top left corner. i have taken the cmos battery out twice now, and i have reset the bios multiple times. the computer yesterday wasnt even making it to the bios and was giving off the three long beeps. but now i can make it to the bios again. ill post pics.
    Last edited by urpointis; March 3rd, 2012 at 04:57 PM.

In the boot menu, you have the hard drive first, so it is never going to boot from the DVD.

As I said already, did you change the boot order in the menu???????

For future reference, removing the battery, dose exaxtly the same the CMOS jumper, only you have to wait 10 seconds, when you remove the battery, the jumper dose it instantly.
    Last edited by stroyal; March 3rd, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

yes

yes, i didnt upload the pictures i have changed the boot order back and forth, that boot menu is just that. the available option to boot from. showing that it reads the dvd drive and the hdd. the actual boot order is at the top. in the picture i posted i the hdd icon is in front of the dvd icon, but i switched them and still nothing.
    Last edited by urpointis; March 4th, 2012 at 05:36 AM.

Was the computer unplugged from the wall when you reset the cmos and/or removed the battery?

And are you sure the DVD drive is working ok? EDIT - I guess you checked that...

There is a program called "ultimate boot disk" that is a bootable CD. You might create one of these and see if you can boot from there just to rule out hardware.

Also, do you have all of your plugs in the right places, and including the 8 pin CPU connector plug? What ever is wrong is major enough it should be fairly easy to find.

Another long shot - make sure the Bios jumper isn't on the wrong pins. I got a board once that was on "reset", rather than the correct way.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; March 4th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

ok. everytime i open the computer its unplugged. as for the wiring, everytime i have taken it aprt and put it back toggether no matter my confidende, i confide by the mainboard manuel. both the dvd drive and the hdd are read by the mainboard, but its booting from them that is the issue. i cant boot form a dvd or cd on the computer at all, and i cant boot from the hard drive. ive unplugged the hdd and dvd drive completly an di still get the blinking screen. i know its not the connections cuz both drives show up on the mainboard. the model number and everything. i think it has to do with the bios settings, or maybe icompattible hardware. ive thought about connecting my old hdd to the new comp but i doubt it would change anything, since i get the saem result with a completely unplugged hdd. ive check the mobo, i dont see the jumper, but i see the wires for it. altho i dont believe the jumper has to actually be on does it?

i googled some more and found someone with the saem problem and mobo. going to try their suggestions.

X79MA-GD45 NO BOOT

ok. solved. updated my bios to 1.5
    Last edited by urpointis; March 5th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information