+ Reply to Thread

Dell Dock (Port Replicator)

Not sure if this is the correct forum. I tried searching but must not have used correct key words as nothing useful came up.

Dell Dock model PR01X which is as I read, a Port Replicator. Does not work on my Latitude D620 running Vista Home Premium. I've also tried XP Pro SP3 on the same machine and still, nothing on the Dock works except the power plug and one light on the top. Same as with Vista.

I searched Dell user forums. Found this problem has persisted for over 5 years yet Dell has still not addressed it. Many of those users have had some success by installing the XP copy of usb.inf. Vista would not allow that. So I loaded XP onto another drive, swapped it in. Still nothing worked other than the power plug and that one top light that comes on when the lid is lifted. The network cord would not 'pass thru'. I had to un-dock, plug the network cord in to get on-line and go to the Dell site to download and install drivers to get the wi-fi working.

A chat with Dell Tech about this Dock problem was a total waste of time. They wanted to either sell me support or sell me a different Dock. Done a lot of searches, and reading, something led me to Dell R181862 which is Dell Notebook system Software Utility. This installed Client Configuration Utility allows my to edit the system Bios. I used that to add 'Docking'. After making those changes I found during Setup there is now 'Docking' listed and made those selections. It didn't change a thing. Nothing on the dock works. Re-running setup I notice that docking does NOT indicate that it is 'Docked'. This doesn't make sense. It IS on the Dock yet the Bios is not detecting it.

Needless to say I am about burnt out fussing with this. The seller of the Dock has tested another dock to be SURE it works, I get it and it doesn't work on my Latitude. So now I have two docks, neither work, for me. Not sure what to try from here.

Hopefully one of you has solved this puzzle and remembers where to find the 'key' to unlock this mystery.

Thanks, and Take Care,

Charlie B 53

My dock wouldn't work, but that was an issue of using a 65 Watt power supply, instead of a 90 Watt model. However, the laptop does let you know about that problem on screen when it refuses to boot, as far as I remember.
    Have a look at the DC barrel plug which goes into the laptop or dock. Make sure it has the needle-like central pin inside it. This is a communication line to the laptop which lets it know which adapter it is using. look on the label on the power supply. Under the big Dell logo, at the top left will be the power rating, if it is anything like mine. It needs to be 90W I think, the 65W model definitely will not work.
    Are you using an original Dell power adapter?
    Last edited by paul9; December 13th, 2015 at 02:40 AM.

Original Dell 19.5V 4.62A which is the 90 watt unit (I think).

Will have to look at the plug. I don't remember noticing any 'fine' center pin. But I did notice the socket on the Dock looks like it could take a plug having 4 or 5 of those small pines in a pattern that would only allow it to be plugged in only if rotated to the correct alignment. My power supply is a simple male plug.

I may have to look into what power supply was sold as 'original equipment' with the Dock. This could be a definite possibility.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=de...I9H9nZeAjTM%3A
    That should give you an idea of the centre pin you are looking for, but yes, I think that is the 90W model.

That picture was very helpful.. I never looked inside the plug very well. I did now, and it DOES have that center pin. Figures, it IS a Dell 90 watt 19.5 volt. It doesn't mention watts, only that it is (Qwap I forgot) 4.62 Amps. Which if I remember amps X Volts = watts Y'up, calculator says so.

Well, that was about as far as I got with mine on my D630. I don't need it enough to pay for a new power brick, but I did know that was a problem with the dock.

Just ordered a 120 watt unit from eBay $15 free freight.

Will find out if that makes a difference when it gets here.

(Fingers Crossed).

I rather doubt that it will, as the 90 is specified as being compatible.

Still worth the attempt.

Seen posts in the Dell user forums that a 90 wasnt enough for some, that the 120 made the difference. I'm to the point that it can't hurt.

Temped to call the number for 'tech' posted on my used machine. Don't know what company used these before upgrading to something else. But it could be worth the call to find out if they had this issue with some units and would they be willing to tell me how they dealt with it? Other than giving up and trading in those Dells for newer units that DID work!

Maybe by the middle of next week I'll get bold enough to try it.

120 watt power unit came in todays mail. No Change.

Qwap!

Somebody out there knows the answer, I just haven't heard from that person, yet.

Still no positive response.

Someone out there must have some other ideas.

Try booting from a Linux Live CD/DVD? If that works, then it would indicate an Operating System problem.

That's an idea worth checking out. If Linux supports the Dock then that should prove the laptop and the dock are both O.K. and Windows is the problem.

I have about the latest Unbutu on a large drive that I looked it a bit on one of my desktops. I don't know hardly a THING about Linux. But I have plenty of disks and another small drive so I should be able to get it going without too much problem.

I will repost and let you know what I've found out. May be a few days. 9 y.o. G'son just came to spend a few days with me so he may keep me occupied a bit.

Thanks for the idea!

OK, it's been a year and still no joy.

Unbutu didn't work either.

I finally gave in, took the laptop, all drives and both power paks, both docks to see the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

The Geek tried everything than tells me since neither dock worked that the most likely problem is the connector on the bottom of the laptop MOBO. That I needed to swap with a new MOBO as the connectors cannot be repaired.

Who knows, possibly poor connections between the connector and the board?

I found new old stock MOBO's on
    eBay. Never been used. However I am reluctant to buy any until I can confirm this fault.

Anyone know anything about this?

I have an old fried board from when G'son poured a soda into this unit, toasting the board and neyboard. I should look at how the connector is attached to get an idea if that can be a common faulure point. The stress pushing and pulling during pluggin into docks might be causing some cracking of the board and/or solder connections. Why I didn't think of that? Doesn't matter now. I just hate to have to tear this thing apart when it already runs fine, just won't dock, and I want to set up both docks in different roooms, plugged into TV's and larger drives. Thinking of installing kodl so we can watch movies', etc. using this laptop instead of buying a TV stick or other box.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information