Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy No Boot unless CMOS cleared

Athlon 1.2 / 266fsb
    Abit KT7A / WW BIOS
    512 PC133 SDRAM
    Matrox G400MAX
    WD 80G /2mb cache (old)
    WD 80G/8mb cache (new)

I just cloned my system to a new WD 80G/8mb-cache drive. While I had it shut down, I blew out the system with canned air. Then I swapped and plugged in the new drive, turned on the power, and the CPU spins, as does the PSU, but I get no LED on floppy or hdd, no 'beep' and no POST or any display (orange monitor light does not switch to green-on).

I cleared CMOS (jumper), and then I get initial POST screen, hdd recognition with the Checksum Error - System Default Loaded. Still doesn't beep, though.

It will proceed to boot until the Windows splash screen, then hang after the progress bar has engaged and appears to be ready to launch Windows.

If I enter BIOS and set CPU to proper default speed (1200mb 266fsb), save and exit, then again I get no display, no boot, no beep ...

I've checked that cables/pin out is correct.. rechecked RAM and other seatings..

NO problems before the cloning. Same thing happens when trying to boot on the old drive.

What is wrong and how can I fix it?

Maybe check if the proper jumpers are set for master on the new drive and then set the other to slave.
    If not check if you cable has been nicked in the process of swapping.
    * )
    ..) .*)
    (. (. ,.
    (.*`*- ->Jeordiewhite

I did that, Jeordie...

I checked the pins on the IDE controller and the drive, the cable is new with the retail WD, and the new hdd is jumpered to single, master (is only drive on IDE1) ... other drive is unplugged, disconnected.

Thanks...

sorry should have looked before posting

I see the label on the WD800 is already clear about no jumper when it is the only drive.
    Last edited by vfrxsw; September 14th, 2002 at 06:00 PM.

I've tried it both ways, vfrxsw.. per the manual for Single jumpered on pin 4,6; and most recently and currently with no jumper...

every time I clear CMOS (using jumper; not by removing CMOS battery), enter BIOS to set CPU to speed, save, exit, nothing happens.

And, yes.. I have the blue ribbon connector attached to IDE1, and the black end to the drive.. ;/ What's scaring me is it's not beeping like it should.. no POST... I checked chips to push down in case of migration.. capacitors seem solid... nothing seems broken off..

Just a thought Socal, you mention a NEW cable. Have you tried the drives on the old cable?

<aw>
    -> AW <-

Hi awwall...

Yes.. just tried older cable on each drive. doesn't work.

The KT7A has the pin missing in the middle bottom row of the IDE controller; and the older cable I tried has the matching pin slot covered.. Using that cable, it still doesn't work

Well, I guess it's time to shut down this box and try the drive on it, and swap drive this box's drive onto the Athlon..

ARgghhh!

I'll check in on this thread from the XP / Celeron box...

Thanks for the replies..

I had a box do the same thing not too long ago.. Sorry but it turned out to be a bad cpu. I had the same symptons you did but it got progressively worse. The ultimate test for me was to remove the cpu and then boot the computer up. Same behavior with and without the cpu.

Hope Intel is good a warrenting their processors - this one's only 6 months old and it's retail.

I hope you have a different problem Socalgal...
    Where's Lunch?

hmm.. this is interesting.

*del'd stupid move to save face <g>*

I'm beginning to thing Ghost whacked my boot record or something :/

Gonna try the drive in the P3 on the Athlon now..

Sorry to hear that.. Hope that's better for you than losing the cpu though. I seem to remember you having problems with backup jobs that were taking forever to complete.
    Where's Lunch?

me too, Scott... thanks.

I seem to have multiple problems now. with the hdds not booting, and the Athlon system not POSTING correctly.

Yes, I was having 'forever' backup probs, and I thought Ghost 2002 fixed it.

Then had the Error 20001 - look up Symantec and see that it is a known, but unremedied issue, with possible workarounds. THAT is why I got a new drive!

I have my system OS backed up to an IBM drive.. I'm gonna put that in the Athlon box and see if it boots...

You have it backed up up to an IBM drive? Oh, I'm wishing you the best right now Girl... I'm squirming in the chair right now just thinking about that!

Let us know how it goes.. Hopefully someone will know to make it work. I know that Ghost is a really popular utility. Unfortunately, I've never used it before...

Guess it's somewhat comforting to know that you have multiple machines to work with.
    Where's Lunch?

First worry about getting it to post correctly...THEN worry about booting.... Most likely I'm going to guess your PS is starting to die and isnt giving a good enough voltage to post correctly (whats your powersupplies rated 5vsb rating?)

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/vbfor...3535#post13535
    -Mntsnow-

been talking with Socal via ICQ and starting to think she might have a bad CPU or mobo after all as a New Antec PSU is still doing the same thing...
    -Mntsnow-

Thanks for posting Mike..

I'm letting the CMOS clear overnight, and I've removed the batt. Gonna try to see if I can get a POST and boot to floppy in the a.m. .. try to flash BIOS.. otherwise.. maybe BIOS chip.. I don't know.

I don't have another mobo to test the CPU..

Oh. . and thanks for the help, Mike, and those that replied, too

What gets me everything was FINE before I started cloning this time. I think I"m better off not backing up anymore

Hello:

I apologize for this outrageously long post.

FWIW, I had a similiar problem with an Abit MB when attempting to upgrade the drive. It was the Intel based BX-133 with Win98SE. I copied the HD to the new HD. I was going from a 9GB SCSI to a 40GB IDE drive.

The machine did not work properly with the new drive. It would load into Windows but reboot itself after running a bit. The time varied but it would not stay up more than a few minutes. This was my primary machine at the time and I needed it so I went back to the 9Gb drive. The machine had been working fine up to this point. However, now it was doing the same thing with the old drive, rebooting spontaneously. Nothing had been changed.

But, it wasn't the OS doing it because, as part of the troubleshooting process, I ran the machine under DOS. Under load, it would reboot spontaneously under.

I came to the conclusion that the MB was bad. Fortunately, I had about a month of the 1 yr warranty left. What finalized my conclusion was getting a replacement Abit board, an ST6. Doing nothing but putting this board into place with everything else the same, including the CPU. The problem went away.
    I am currently using an Abit KT7A as my primary machine with no problems. The ST6 is still running great. I've added an additional 2 36GB SCSI drives to the original 9GB as well as an additional IDE CD-RW. So the machine is loaded more than it was originally.

What I would suggest is to disconnect the hard drives, take out all the cards except video and boot into dos. If it won't boot into dos, you have a hardware failure somewhere. If it does come up, do something to make the machine work under DOS, e.g. run RC5 from the floppy for a while. If it survives working under DOS without resetting, it may be ok. Then it's delete the partition and start all over again time for the HD.

It is impossible to harm the machine by simply cloning the drive. However, putting the drive into different mbs can mess up the OS files on the drive causing the symptoms you mention. It also is possible that the cloning software messed up the OS on the drive. I've had that happen before.

Also, putting a drive configured for an AMD MB is not going to necessarily work correctly in an Intel based MB. I have several BX2s and putting an AMD configured drive into one doesn't work.

I'm currently running 8 Abit MBs. I have had two malfunction. One when I was trying to upgrade the drive. I guess it was a coincidence because I've cloned a number of drives with Abit MBs. I've successfully cloned Win98se drives for upgrade. I haven't tried to clone a Win2K drive for update but I know Win2K is very finicky about the drive. Doesn't take much to get it upset. I would guess XP is the same.

Good Luck in getting your machine back up. I know from personal experience how annoying it is to have what should be a simple task become a nightmare.

BTW canned air is NOT the thing to use to clean electronics. Vaccuum if you can but don't apply air pressure. This is because airborne contaminates can be conductive. You can force conductive junk into places and cause shorts and subsequent malfunctions. There can also be conductive impurities in the compressed air itself. I honestly don't know how they can sell that stuff as it is dangerous for electronics and other delicate things such as cameras. This may be the source of your problem too.

Cwizard
    Last edited by cwizard; September 15th, 2002 at 07:28 AM.

Hi Cwizard

No apology pls for your clear and concise post!

Well, after clearing CMOS all night and putting battery back in, with only the CPU, mem and vidcard attached, I still get no POST, no beep. Same with mem removed.

Tried clearing CMOS again, no POST, no beep.

Took off CPU and checked it, reapplied some new goo and reinstalled.. still nothing.

I think I'll have to try another CPU before I can definitely rule the mobo as the problem.

If it's a dead board, I'm wondering if replacing the BIOS chip would bring it back to life? There is an Abit office in CA.

Yeah, it was pretty stupid of me to try the AMD hdds in the Pent. system kind of a desperation move that was. Also, my systems are always pretty clean - I've used canned air for years without problems. But, I too have heard about the contaminants and the problems they might cause. Maybe my luck ran out this time.

I just hope I can recover my email ( on C: ) and data ( on D: ) I have 3 chances to get it... they are on 3 separate hdds.

Thanks again.........

PLS SEND ME PMs or ICQs only until further notice-- NOT EMAILS as my email is on the other dual boot and I'll have to shut down Server to retrieve (and it's a PITA)

thx!

Stuck a new battery into the mobo and it POSTs... thanks, MR COMPUTER! *kiss* hehe

Gotta put it all back together and see if it will work now....

* Just as a note, I had just gotten back from Fry's where they tested the CPU, mem and mobo. Dude said mobo was dead, never checked the battery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information