+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NTLDR is compressed

After running the defrag, this message came up.

NTLDR is compressed.
    Please hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

Did it and get the same message.

Any thoughts?

Welcome to TechIMO!! That is probably not a good thing, I have never seen that before. Lets see what others say.

So far I found:

This is a core file which must be in the root directory, and that fact that it cannot find it may mean other files are also missing, however to fix this problem perform the following:

Boot the system with a DOS bootable floppy disk (if it is a FAT partition). If it is a NTFS partition use the NT boot disk shown in the above step
    In the i386 directory of the CD-ROM there will be a file NTLDR._, which is the compressed version of NTLDR
    You can expand this file using expand.exe that comes with DOS and Windows for Workgroups
    expand d:\i386\ntldr._ c:\ntldr.

It's a HP. No recovery CD was included when we bought it, though one can do a non-destructive recovery from the hard drive. But even that doesn't work.

And guess what? I don't have a bootable floppy. Pretty dumb of me, huh?
    Last edited by Videoguy; November 5th, 2002 at 08:03 PM.

If you replace NTLDR with a compressed copy then Win2K will not boot. Ever. Not even to Safe Mode. The only way to recover is to boot from the CD and use the Recovery Console to return to the unmodified NTLDR. So get your hands on a W2K CD. Hopefully others have a better solution.

But I have XP not 2K. Does that make a difference?

Exclamation same problem...

I have the same problem, but I know that I had compressed NTLDR, is there a possible way to decompress it without actually entering windows? I need to fix this problem quickly...

mpc
    Use the Windows XP setup floppies found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q310994

Boot to the "Recovery Console" and run FIXBOOT.

Unhappy

I don't have a floppy drive... is there another possible way?

mpc
    Then you're going to have to get a hold of someone elses Windows XP cd and boot to it. And while you're at it.....install the Recovery Console on your system (after you've fixed it) so that you'll have it for future use in case you need it again.
    Last edited by mpc; January 2nd, 2003 at 08:32 PM.

Talking

Thanks for all the advice. My computer had this problem,and because of these postings I've managed to get it going again. I just wanted to say thanks.

For the "compressed NTLDR" I found it was easy to fix from the Recovery Console
    Copy the NTLDR from the D:\i386 dir to the C:\
    If you do a DIR on the C:\ , you'll see that it is C (compressed). Use ATTRIB -C to fix that. After that Do an ATTRIB +SH (system and hidden) and it is ok again.
    If you also perform an FIXBOOT and FIXMBR you got the whole story
    Last edited by ekrouwel; December 22nd, 2004 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpc View Post
    Use the Windows XP setup floppies found here:

How to obtain Windows XP Setup disks for a floppy boot installation

Boot to the "Recovery Console" and run FIXBOOT.

ive just done this but when i insert the first disc the computer keeps restarting and i do not get a prompt to insert the 2nd disc? any ideas? thanks

edit: just tried again and it seems to be working now lol

ok so ive had a go at using the windows boot disc method as i said in my post above. but on the last disc the computer goes to a blue error screen. ive also tried the other method by going through the recovery console method but when i do this i do not get a prompt to where i am meant to press "1", it just goes straight to the console where i can choose what recovery method to process, which i have done but keeps going back to the NTLDR is compressed screen. any help would be grateful. thank you

If you don't have the disc to repair - do this

Here are some instructions on how to fix the NTLDR is compressed error. I did this and it finally solved the problem. This is for an HP PC with XP Home Version, but I would think it would be very similar for any PC. Look at the bottom of the instructions to use when there is no disc (CD or floppy) provided for the PC.

From the HP site (surprised it was helpful as the customer support is not helpful at all)

Here's a link to what I am listing below:

Error: NTLDR is compressed. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart*

Error: NTLDR is compressed. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart

Content starts here

This document applies to HP and Compaq Desktop computers with Windows XP.
    If you have compressed the hard disk drive using the Compress drive to save disk space option under the Properties menu for your hard disk drive and have performed a non-destructive recovery or a system recovery, the following error message may appear:
    NTLDR is compressed. Press CRTL-ALT-DEL to restart.
    This error message is resolved by following these steps:

Insert the HP Recovery Tools CD or Compaq Recovery Tools CD into the CD drive on the computer and restart the computer.
    Wait for the HP Recovery Tools CD or Compaq Recovery Tools CD window to open.
    Select Run Microsoft Recovery Console , click Next , and then follow the onscreen instructions.
    NOTE: If you are unable to open a recovery console, follow the Alternate steps .
    Press R to repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console.
    Enter the appropriate number for the WINDOWS installation, for example, the WINDOWS installation could be listed as 3: C:\WINDOWS or 3: D:\WINDOWS .
    If prompted, enter your Administrator password and press Enter . If there is no password, just press Enter .
    At the prompt, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was C:\WINDOWS, type:
    cd c:\
    Or, if the WINDOWS installation you selected in Step 4 was D:\WINDOWS, type:
    cd d:\
    At the prompt, type:
    attrib -c ntldr
    and then press Enter .
    At the prompt, type: exit
    Press the Enter key and immediately remove all discs or diskettes from the computer to allow the computer to restart.
    The error message should be resolved.

STEPS TO USE WHEN NO CD PROVIDED.....IT WORKS.

Alternate steps
    NOTE: These alternate steps work for HP and Compaq desktop PCs with Windows XP and a recovery partition. (M0st HP and Compaq PCs with Windows XP have a recovery partition on the hard disk drive.) These steps do not work if you have replaced the hard disk drive, replaced Windows with another operating system, or repartitioned the recovery partition.
    You can use the following steps if you are unable to open a recovery console:

Turn on the computer. When the initial logo screen appears, press the F10 key repeatedly until a message about starting recovery appears.
    At the Recovery screen, click Advanced Options and then press the Alt and D keys at the same time to go to a command prompt.
    At the command prompt, enter the following: diskpart
    At the command prompt, enter the following: list volume
    Remember the drive letter next to line for the main hard drive; HP_PAVILION or PRESARIO.
    To close Diskpart, enter the following: exit
    At the command prompt, enter the drive letter followed by a colon (. For example, H:
    At the command prompt, enter the following: cd \windows\system32
    At the command prompt, type the following: compact ntldr /u <the drive letter>:\ntldr
    For example if the drive letter was H, you would type: compact ntldr /u h:\ntldr
    Type exit and press Enter .
    Click Quit .
    The error message should be resolved.

HI, I'm trying the alternate steps as I have no cd, but I get stuck on step 5. when I do the list volume command I lterally get a list. there is no drive letter to remember because I don't see one. what do i do?

does anyone know what my drive letter should be? i have a presario

wow! i worked! thanks so much for your help, exciteman!

to other's who try this. pay attention to spaces, it makes the difference in whether or not a command works

Post RE: EXCITEMAN...

I too just got the NTLRD Compressed message. When I try your procedure, I'm getting stuck on #8...it keeps saying "Specified file path cannot be found". The only letters I have are C and D, and I tried them both, lol. Under the Status column, at least it says both drives are "healthy".

D is next to Presario...C is next to Presario-RP, so I started with the D drive.

Anyway, any other ideas?
    Also, are the spaces critical EXACTLY how you have it typed here?

Thumbs down smithy

plz help as i'm getting the same message as above

anyone tried fixboot,fixmbr command from recovery?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information