+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question How to reset page counter?

I have a brother HL-1440 printer. It says that the toner is low, but I know for a fact that it isn't. I've done some research and have found that many printers will read the number of pages printed and use this to ascertain whether the toner is low rather than reading the amount of toner left. This way, the company sells more toner carts and drums. I would like to reset the page counter in the printer so that I can use all the toner instead of buying new cartridges all the time.

The problem is that nowhere in the manual or brother's site that I have been able to find is it listed how to reset this counter. The only reference to it I've seen is to reset the counter when you replace the drum unit. To do this, you 'follow the instructions included in the replacement drum unit'. I've already googled for quite a while, but haven't found anything. I found something for the HL-1230 and checked my printer, but it doesn't have the switch they spoke of.

I was wondering if anybody has one of these printers (or one like it) and has these instructions, or just knows how to reset the page counter. If so, are you willing to share?
    About 5% of the people in the world can't think.
    Another 5% can think and do.
    The remaining 90% can think, but don't.

Try this: remove the old stuff and then turn around and re-install the same old equipment. That should do it.

Heh, that was the first thing I tried. I read somewhere last night (it was quite late and I don't remember the site) that there's a small amount of mercury in the printer. (I don't know if this is for all lasers, some lasers, or if it's an out-dated technique.) A small charge gets sent through it every time a page is printed, tranferring a tiny bit of it to the other side. This acts as a page counter. When you install a new toner or drum, there's a fuse in it that blows almost immediately, but has the effect of putting a large charge through the mercury, transferring it all back to the original side, thereby resetting the counter. This kinda makes sense, as when I replace the toner with another used one, the page counter doesn't reset. (This had me until I read the above information.)

Anyone... Anyone... Bueller...

Nobody's replaced the drum on one of these printers and wants to share?

Talking Here's the procedure!

Ok, here it is! I had to break down and get a new drum unit, so I actually have those elusive instructions! Straight from the instruction sheet: After you install the toner cartridge into the new drum unit, insert the drum unit in the printer but leave the front cover open. "Keep holding down the button until all LED's turn on with the front cover open, then release the button." "Make sure that the drum LED is off. Close the front cover." I forgot to mention, I have a Brother HL-1440. I would imagine this would be the same procedure for the older HL-1240.

SWEET! Thanks ccerer. And welcome to TechIMO.

:)

You're welcome! And thanks!

This works also for HL 1450 and HL 1250
    It resets the drum counter
    It does NOT reset the page counter
    Does anyone know if the page counter can be zeroed too?

Well,

After replacing one toner cartridge and realizing that the toner looked to be at least half full (I broke it open) OR MORE!!!! I refused to be snookered again by brother on a toner cartridge that is working perfectly other than the counter. So I tried the solution given about resetting the drum counter on my second toner cartridge and I still have that god for saken toner light on. This time it is flashing instead of staying fully lit. But im still very upset at brother as I feel I have been deceived in the name of profit. That cartridge is still good for a whole heap of prints.

I also would like to know if there is a way to reset the page counter, or maybe find out what is making a half full or greater toner cartridges complain about low toner. This has to be a sensor of some kind that has been set incorrectly by brother.

Maybe we can tweak it so that toner works longer, I mean I would rather have a print come out blank or grey from a lack of toner and replace the cartridge than put half used cartridges filled with toner in the trash that will most likly wind up in a landfill. Not to mention the money saved on purchasing cartridges. This really is getting under my skin, especially because I like this little printer.

aileron

If you look on the end of the cartridge, you can see a plug covered with a label. If you take a pair of pliers and pry this plug out, you can dump the toner from an 'empty' cartridge into another 'empty'. If you get fly $#!+ on the paper, take compressed air and blow off the roller on the toner, rotating it slowly and getting all the way around. Only problem is that these toner cartridges seem to like to print a light gray background on every part of the page, even if you don't refill them. Don't know why and brother's web site says to replace the toner if that happens - no explaination as to why. (My parent's brand new toner did this. Exchanged the entire printer because of it.)

This method works for me, although it is kind of messy if you're not careful. I agree that it sucks the way they're designed in this regard, but they are good little printers otherwise.

I think I figured it out.

If anyone's still paying attention, I think I figured this one out. Story and photos here:

http://www.epiicenter.com/consulting/toner.html

Should anyone give it a shot, let me know how it goes for you.

It Worked!

Thanks heaps epiicenter!!
    it work perfectly for me,
    though I just use white tape to tape over the area, but still works great.

I adjust the dpi to 300 and use toner save mode, I printed about 4500 pages (with TN3300) and the toner warning light just alert constantly and won't allow me to print anymore.

how with your little trick, i'm able to keep print without any toner warning.
    I'm looking forward to see how much more can it print.

now guys, i got another question, i was considering what toner should I buy?
    shall I buy original TN6600, TN3300 or remanufactured TN6600??
    will they put less carbon filling into remanutactured TN6600??
    coz now with epiicenters's trick, we can push the tonner to the last drop, so in this case will the orignal toner pays off it's price?

thanks
    Bill

My pleasure

Thumbs up Nice instructions, epiicenter..

I googled the alarm and data lights and stumbled on your excellent instructions, epiicenter...

I ended up just using some chit from my three-hole punch to fill the hole (y'know the little circles). It was a perfect fit. The company has a stack of these little printers that we were just about to auction off before I found your workaround. Thanks for the marvelous bit of reverse engineering.

-len

I just used a black marker to color the sensor windows on my TN-430 cartridge for my Brother HL-1435. I couldn't print anymore. The cartridge shut my printer down. Brother service said there was no way to get around this even though there was plenty of toner in the cartridge. The solution is great. Thanks

Brother MFC 9420CN

Just wanted to let everyone know that putting on masking tape worked on my Brother MFC 9420CN. That was for the black cartridge, but I assume it would work for the color ones as well.

It sure is fun saving money!

Smile Brother HL1230

Thank you for that - the little pieces of paper work fine on the HL1230 as well. What a relief!

new link

the above referenced link was dead and the re-direct failed for me . . . however, I was able to find the page at:
    http://www.epiicenter.com/tips/toner.html

I have a Fuji-Xerox Docuprint 203A (which is identical to the Brother HL-2040).

The white paper trick did not work for me when I reused an old toner cartridge I had refilled with toner from other supposedly "empty" cartridges. What I did instead was to pop in a brand-new toner cartridge. It seemed to take a tiny bit longer to initialize (probably the counter was being reset). After that the toner warning light went off.

I put the brand-new cartridge back into its packaging and resealed it for future use. When I reloaded my old refilled cartridge, the toner alarm light remained off. Hooray!

Thanks for the tip!

I use white sticker for my Fuji-Xerox Docuprint 203A. It work fine

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information