+ Reply to Thread

Win 98 continously reboots

have a pentium 3 866 with 128 meg of ram rrunning 98se.. week or so ago it started rebooting after loading windows, the same place every time. Rebooted right after loading the desktop.. while loading star-up items it seemed. First thing I did was go into msconfig and disable everything from starting with windows, didn't help. Then I have pulled out every card, replaced memory stick and changed the only card left..the video card. The computer would run fine in safe mode so I finally gave up and formatted the hd and reinstalled windows...and Guess What...reboots every time it gets to updating system settings. I'm bout to give up..lol. Sorry for the long post, any help will be appreciated

try replacing your power supply
    Cracking Cancer for Team Techimo

No, I don't think that's it if it runs in safe mode.

You said it started a week ago. What did you add/replace?

Blog Entries
    after loading windows
    did you mean a complete reinstall or complete reload of the whole OS? If yes, did you get a lot of 'discovering new hardware' messages? If yes, that is normal and will eventually stop. I've suffered 8 reboots on one machine, after installing 98.

Retired mostly.
    Does it give any kind of bsod?
    -M

Yes..it was a complete reinstall.. formatted hard drive first..and no there are no bsod. just reboots and does it all over again. And no it is not finding any new hardware. And I even tried unplugging cd drives and floppy and tried it with a different hard drive. Only thing left is mobo and processor but would it run in safe mode if one of those was going bad?

Ultimate sumfin i guess Omardeth's Avatar
    my guess is the ps is going
    " If you kill a man you're a murderer ..... Kill many and you're a conquerer ....... Kill them all ... your a GOD...."

Can you try testing the memory with memtest. I'm suspecting the memory. In the safe mode, only minimum memory resources are used. However, when it comes to the normal operation, it loads tons of crap -- including the background images, etc. When some amount of memory is filled up, there could be a memory error that is causing the computer to boot. Just a guess

I had a bad ps while trying to load win98 - the install would die right at the setting timezone. I went round and round as it was a new case, replaced the ram, swapped cdrives etc.

finally tried another PS - and voila - no problems.

I had tried different memory and a different ps.. same prob... ran memtest tho but still no luck

<--- scratches head -------- I did have a DFI board once that barfed on 2 different sticks of memory - all were working fine in another machine - finally the third it liked.

what's the make of the mobo?

I ran into this once a long time ago and some here showed me how to fix it with a reg. hack, you had to change
    reboot=1 to reboot=0 I don't have time to look for the string right now.
    You can't get there from here

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information