+ Reply to Thread

disable hibernation... and i mean really disable it!

so I'm not sure what option that I checked, but somehow on my XP box at home, when I click on "shut down" the hibernation button isn't even an option. Now I know how to "disable hibernation" in the powersettings, but whatever I did earlier was different. here's the problem. I can no longer remember what the heck I did!

anyone else know?

thanks
    -Z

Not sure whether you want to enable or disable... in either case:

Right-click Desktop>Screen Saver>Power>Hibernate

JohnE.

Doh! Just realized you already knew that. Maybe you can enable/disable through Manage>Services ?

yeah.. that's what I'm not sure about.... I did it somehow, and now I can't find the setting again!?!?!?!

-Z

Retired mostly.
    I don't understand your problem.

You did what somehow?
    Why do you need to do the thing I don't understand again?
    -M

mickwish
    Something in the BIOS maybe, zskillz?

I'm with muno, really.

Cheers
    Mick

I know it's XP, but within Windows2K (very similar to XP), go to your display properties and click the screen saver tab, then click power, and then click the hibernation tab, within this box you will see a tick box for enable hibernation support.

If there is a tick in there, its enabled, if there isn't a tick in there, its disabled.

hth

hahah... ok let me try again. some time ago, I changed some setting on my computer that entirely disabled hibernation. When I say entirely disabled, I mean that when I click on "shut down", "hibernate" isn't even on option any more.

now the issue is that I cannot remember how I did that and was wondering if any of you know!?!

I am aware of what both win2kuser and JohnE. said, but that is not the solution that I am looking for. I have already done that on this XP machine (a different one from the aforementioned PC) and have not seen the same results!

ideas?

-Z

Retired mostly.
    By any chance you're not confusing hibernate and standby?

Hibernate disappears when you deselct it from powersaver.
    Standby doesn't
    -M

hahAH!!j

I just noticed that this morning and was coming into this thread to post it!

I AM confusing hibernate and standby.

so now the altered question is... I somehow disabled the standby option from my computer, and cannot remember where that is set. can anyone tell me?

thanks and apologies!
    -Z

Smile hibernate option

Quote Originally Posted by zskillz View Post
    so I'm not sure what option that I checked, but somehow on my XP box at home, when I click on "shut down" the hibernation button isn't even an option. Now I know how to "disable hibernation" in the powersettings, but whatever I did earlier was different. here's the problem. I can no longer remember what the heck I did!

anyone else know?

thanks
    -Z

click on start go to control panel selct the option which says power options select the tab says hibernate and check the option which says enable hibernate and in the power scheme tab select the time from the drop down you have for some time it should work

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information