+ Reply to Thread

Grey Monitor Streaks, please help me!

Hey everyone, I stumbled across this board and think this is the first place I might get real help

I was on my computer last night playing some games and when I left the game, there were these grey horizontal streaks shiooting across teh screen. It seems they are all the way down the screen, but are more defined where there is text or color. For example, on a blank white screen, they aren't very visible. But, these lines im typing on now, you can see the grey line across the whole screen.

I was thinking video card, but I am not entirely sure. I wanted to see if anyone else had any insight on what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

~Sacium~
    Last edited by Sacium; October 4th, 2003 at 05:17 PM.

Sounds like a symptom I had when a video card got hot and went bad on me. What are your system specs? Card, CPU, etc.

re:

Well, I did a search deal and it says for the card "Diamond Viper v330 detected as Nvidia Riva 128"

I have a Compaq computer baught 2 summers ago. I have never had any video card problems so far. It has 750mhz processor. hmmm....

Not sure what else to say about it. I connected a different monitor and it gave the same problems, so it isnt the monitor *shew*

I tried to get another video card, but my other computer's is on the motherboard.

I think it must be the video card, not sure what else it could be. thanks!

~Sacium~

If you bought it from Compaq and it is still under warrantee, return it.

My daughter had a similar problem with horizontal "Smears" off of text and text boxes, pictures, etc. She said they told her it was a cable problem inside the case. If you go in there be very careful, wear gloves. It's just like a television set and can zap you silly!

BTW: Welcome to Techimo!
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

blech

It isn't any longer under warranty, and I don't want to go buy a new video card if that isn't the problem...

Now I don't know what to do!

~Sacium

try booting into safe mode (no video drivers) and see if the problem persists

edit

since you have more than one computer use the other's monitor to rule out a monitor problem
    "the chief cause of problems is solutions!"

Yippe!

I went ahead and baught the video card (needed one anyways), and my problem is fixed!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information