+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy BAD_POOL_CALLER?

This is the second time that my computer has crashed seriously with a blue screen and white writing to tell me I have "BAD_POOL_CALLER". Microsoft error reporting suggests that this is due to a faulty driver of some description but won't tell me which one.
    This is a recent error - twice this week.
    I have not added any hardware, not changed firewalls, or virus protection and not updated any drivers for ages. I fact I'm at a loss as to what on earth it could be.
    Running - Windows XP, Norton 2003 anti-virus, Agnitum firewall,
    Nvidia 420 graphics card (s**t I know), P4 2.4 ghz, 512 DDR and using internet explorer 6.0.
    The last time it happened I had no applications running bar the internet. I was happily browsing and all of a sudden the stupid box under my desk came to a halt. I had to use Task manager to restart it as the start bar had locked and the egg timer appeared whenever I put my mouse near it. I stress I have not downloaded or updated anything recently so please help cos my baby is sick. Thanks in advance for what will undoubtably be unparalled support.
    Oh yeah, and the task manager suggested that 99% of my CPU was doing the system idle thing.

Ultimate Member
    too much chlorine?
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

What? Is this advice or are you just laughing at my misfortune?

Ultimate Member
    sorry mate..just having a wee bit at humour.

Here are a few links that might help you

http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

http://www.osr.com/ddk/ddtools/bccodes_8k9z.htm <----see bottom part about driver verifier perhaps

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...d_stp_czgw.asp

Seems to be sort of a broad problem...because I have seen threads relating it to hard drives, usb stuff, networks, lol....maybe related to old drivers.

Were you doing any particular thing when it happened?? Like watching a dvd or burning a cd or anything in particular?

Hope you get it resolved..these things can be a bloody pain when nackered.

JP

Ultimate Member
    This guy seems to think he had a bad stick of RAM http://groups.yahoo.com/group/simply.../message/52897

look at the reply where he says it was his ram.

JP

PS Chlorine goes into a swimming pool to keep it clean...sorry for the vague humour.

Not sure if this helps but:

Bad pool

Jeez, I check this a few minutes ago, searched it, and now I've been beaten to the answer......

Love this place,,,,, we all want to help....

Paul
    Last edited by Wombat; October 6th, 2003 at 06:03 PM.

Was looking at the driver verifier manager at microsoft when you posted a reply jp. Anyhow to be honest it terrifies me. I don't do syntax stuff and I have no idea what I want this verifier to do, let alone ask it to do it. Is there a dummies guide or a command that will just check the lot for me? I don't mind waiting 2 hours for the computer to do whatever as long as I don't have to play with its head using code of some kind

You've helped me so many times John so think "idiot and baby talk". cheers

Ultimate Member
    OK, I looked at it but Im not sure what its good for, lol.

You dont have to do the command line with the syntax etc.

You can just go to the "run" box and type in "verifier" then you get a nice graphical tool....choose "create standard settings"...then it asks you to choose which drivers to verify...so Im not sure what to tell you there. Maybe you can try to figure out which drivers are in use when the problem shows up. Then try to verify those drivers.

After you pick the drivers it will make you reboot.

Then run verifier again...and this time just choose "display existing settings" or "display info about currently verified drivers" and it will take a few seconds to build the list and it will show the results of the drivers you selected before the reboot.

Now the question is...what to do with the info?? I have no clue, lol. You'll see info about pool allocations failed, pool allocations not tracked, this pool, that pool etc etc. All a bit over my head....stuff for programmers.

I suppose you would look for any driver that has "pool allocations failed" or maybe "faults injected"

Some articles

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Debugging http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Good luck mate, maybe you could find a nice developer website or programmer website because they probably do this sort of stuff blindfolded!

JP

Ultimate Member
    And of course you can run "drwatson"...I suppose it still works in XP. You run drwatson.exe and then a little icon shows up in the tray..you then click on the icon and it does a little report.

JP

Went to bed by the time you had posted JP as live in the uk. Anyhow drwatson is turning a blind eye and telling me that everythings ok. However the verifier broke my computer. It said the following.

Stop:0x000000C4 (0x00001003,0xB682B0A8,0x8EBB2FE0,0x82074198).
    SAVRT.SYS. - Address B682B0A8 base at B67F1000, Datestamp 3d40d9c3.

I have managed to track down that it is Driver 1056 that is the problem. I restarted the pc in safe mode, did a sys-restore and it was ok again.

Now all I have to do is update the driver. The problem is I'm still miles in over my head and I don't know how to get my pc to tell me which driver 1056 is, what program or hard device it relates to and where to get an update. Tried searching with the little XP doggy but he is just shaking his head at me and chewing his bone. (not a pleasant site lol)

Any how if anyone can tell me how to find out where this nasty little driver is I'd be very grateful. Cheers all.

Ultimate Member
    Bump, has anyone followed this thread that can help us out here? Could he just run verifier again and look at the list of drivers it is going to check and see if he can figure which one is 1056?

How do you know it is 1056?

Does anyone know what savrt.sys is?? Looks like symantec Anti Virus related to me. I did run across this article about norton and verifier locking up http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp so maybe you could try it again with norton off..or with "deadlock detection" turned off, lol.

Hopefully a bump or two during the day will bring this to the attention of some gurus here.

JP

Thanks for following this JP.
    An error box appeared before my pc repeatedly crashed, running the verifier saying Error: Driver 1056. Press ok - then it died.
    The c4 coding tells me that it is definately a driver error and something else, although i can't remember what, is telling me that the problem driver is booting what ever it boots at a bad time or out of sync with the rest of my pc. Don't dare use the verifier again though as it took ages to get my pc back to normal. It took ten mins per boot, Screwed up all the graphics and kept refreshing my icons but really slowly. Verifier seems to be a powerful tool and I feel like a kid with an uzi. If I keep playing with it someones gonna get hurt.

Oh, it was the 0x00001003 on the first parameter that told me the driver was out of sync. Cannot find info on the other three parameters though. Also have found a facility in Sandra that allows you to check the drivers on the full version. However I only have the trial version and will not be able to upgrade until someone out there wants to employ a mediocre aerospace engineer.
    Are there any freebie programs out there that might give me the same driver info? Is there a site where I can check what 1056 is or is it likely to be specific to my machine in the order I installed stuff? My pc crashed again today to make 3 times this week and it seems unstoppable.
    It always seems to be when I'm asking my pc to do very little that this happens. I can run cd's, games and DVD's with no bother at all but ask it to just sit there, maybe browse the net or write a letter in word, or some other simple task then it says enough, I'm bored and I'm going to sleep - reboot me if you must.. I don't however think it is internet related as it has happened whilst off line.

Bump.. still giving me problems. Now that I've worked out you can't run the verifier with the deadlock on if you have norton anti-compatible on, and how to turn off the deadlock, I've figured out that the whole c4/savrt thing was a product of this and hence not the original problem.
    Still need to find out the source of this driver 1056 though as it has rotted away on my hard drive and wants replacing.

Gonna bite the bullet and become a penguin at this rate. That'll please Scott Tiger and all his chums won't it.

bump... and I'll make it the last one as a desperate man in need of some help. Please - somebody,anybody?
    How do I locate a specific Driver?

zen
    Got a sound card? Found one reference to sound card driver.

Ultimate Member
    Bad Ram Indeed.

Sound card is Avance AC97.
    Sandra recons my ram is ok.
    I've a suspicion its either Norton anti-compatible 2003, Windows itself or IE 6.0. Updated nvidia video drivers today to new ones and problem remains.

and total frustration smiley.

Ultimate Member
    Sandra sucks, why does anyone trust wholeheartedely Windows based programs?

Try Memtest86, http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1247

I think John Prophet hit the nail on the head when he said "broad problem," very indictive of bad memory.

If you dont believe what it tells you, then good luck.

The last weeks I had the similar behavior on our new Dell Portable. No new hw was installed. Just after directing the pc to shutdown this happens. WinXP without SP 2. We'll try to analyze as described above and report positive results if any.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information