+ Reply to Thread

computer won't boot, only 447k "low memory"??

Hi guys,
    I'm attempting to get a friends dialup working. He brought his box over, a gateway bro 300s (celery 1Gh, 128ram, winXP) . I hook up my monitor, keyboard, etc. to his puter and boot up. It goes to the user account screen, but neither my wireless keyboard nor mouse will work. I reboot. Oddly before the OS boots my keyboard works and I can go into config. Can't get anything in there to fix the booting problem, but I turn off quick boot and this time a message pops up saying to the effect that I only have "447k low memory and winNT needs 512k low memory to run" So windows does not boot.
    I asked my friend if he had any problems booting his pc, but he said there were none.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?? My only guess is that somehow extra system resources are needed to use wireless devices (my keyboard in this case) and his poor, weak computer can't handle it??! I'm at a loss, any help? I'm gonna try to borrow a regular keyboard tomorrow.

So any help or enlightenment would be great

PSUFan

ALOHA
    You need to install the WindowsXP drivers first to use your board~so yes putting in a hard wire board first then set your divers.....

This is a known problem in the Gateway BIOS. It is not related to the operating system being installed. This is proved by booting a DOS floppy and running MEM. MEM reports only 480K of low memory.

The solution is completely unrelated to the problem. Change the BIOS setting "Quick Boot" to the other setting. If it is set "Disabled", change it to "Enabled", and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by PSU2Fan
    Hi guys,
    I'm attempting to get a friends dialup working. He brought his box over, a gateway bro 300s (celery 1Gh, 128ram, winXP) . I hook up my monitor, keyboard, etc. to his puter and boot up. It goes to the user account screen, but neither my wireless keyboard nor mouse will work. I reboot. Oddly before the OS boots my keyboard works and I can go into config. Can't get anything in there to fix the booting problem, but I turn off quick boot and this time a message pops up saying to the effect that I only have "447k low memory and winNT needs 512k low memory to run" So windows does not boot.
    I asked my friend if he had any problems booting his pc, but he said there were none.

Does anyone have experience with this type of situation?? My only guess is that somehow extra system resources are needed to use wireless devices (my keyboard in this case) and his poor, weak computer can't handle it??! I'm at a loss, any help? I'm gonna try to borrow a regular keyboard tomorrow.

So any help or enlightenment would be great

Not trying to be smart @ss...however, when I work on a computer , I use an old plug in keyboard and roller ball mouse and save the fancy stuff after it's up and running.

PSUFan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

I don't think most people know what this computer really is. The Gateway bro is a tiny computer, smaller than most VCRs in size.

I would ask 1st, have you tried to install more memory? Also, have you tried using the USB keyboard and mouse, instead of using wireless?

You said you were going to try a regular keyboard, but I am pretty sure these computers don't have ps2 jacks, just USB, so you would need a USB keyboard and mouse, wherein the mouse plugs into the keyboard's USB jack.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information