+ Reply to Thread

Angry My monitor won't turn on at all

I have a Compaq, please don't laugh. I have recently had my motherboard replaced. Now I have had three monitors in the past month and a half. My latest one is a HP Pavillian, Model # D5258A. It will not turn on at all. I am really fed up and would like any input that someone might have to solve this problem. The problem with the motherboard was actually with the vidoe card, but compaq puts it all in one. That is when the trouble began. I would love any help thanks!!!

Possible to plug the mon into another computer?
    Sure would eliminate it as the problem...
    I have a 17" that recently croaked---no symptoms at all---just wont start up...

Oh yeah---welcome to our little group! :-)

I_W
    Ultimate Member
    What do you mean it doesn't "turn on at all?"
    • Do you see anything when the machine starts up?
    • Can you boot a DOS diskette and get video?
    • Can you boot in the Safe Mode and get video?
    • When you remove the video cable do you get a message on the screen of the monitor saying that there's no video signal?
    • Does the AC of the monitor turn on. In otherwords, is the monitor really on - getting AC?
    • Does the video work with another monitor? Take your machine to a friend's and try his/her monitor.
    • What video parameters have you set? Maybe you're exceeding the limitations of the monitor.

I was responsible for college computer labs and classrooms. A favorite trick of the students was to change the settings to have a screen resolution that was beyond the capabilities of the monitor. When that is done you would seem to have no video and just a blank screen when you boot up.

The answer, obviously, was to boot using the Safe Mode and change the resolution back to something within the capabilities of the monitor.

Blog Entries
    I would follow I_W's steps first and if those all check out, then the next thing I would check would be the modem.

Pull the modem out and see if it boots up fine. If boots fine, get a new modem as that one is shorted out. If still doesn't boot, I would next check the video card and finally the MoBo.

I've seen a number of machines where there has been a lightning stike or power line against telephone line and the modem has been shorted out. (In some of the cases, just the modem needs to be replaced, in others, the whole insides.) Yeah, I know, what does the modem have to do with the video? But a short in the modem can stop the video leaving a black screen without boot. (Hence I_W's questions.)

Harder

BTW, Welcome to TechIMO!

I had that problem with a Komodo monitor. One day it just would not turn on when i presses the button. I think a fuse must have burned out in it because it smelled really bad. It would cost $80 to fix so you might as well buy a new monitor if that is the problem.
    I would follow I_W's steps first and if those all check out, then the next thing I would check would be the modem.
    I doubt that would have anything to do with the video

ucgallagal:

I opine that Sharder and L_W have presented a good diagnostic strategy: certainly a direction to pursue.

What happened to the previous monitors? Did Compaq do the diagnostic / repair work when those monitors went? Why was the motherboard replaced? In other words, what stopped working that led to the motherboard replacement?

In case Sharder did not already suggest this, try removing everything but the motherboard, memory, CPU and vidcard. Of course you need one IDE device cabled to get the box to boot... if the computer boots and you have video, replace the modem, etc.

Good luck. Keep us apprised.

Brangwen

PS: Have you loaded the video drivers for that motherboard? Although those would / should only impact quality of your resolution...

Brangwen

originally posted by Brangwen

Have you loaded the video drivers for that motherboard? Although those would / should only impact quality of your resolution...
    you are right...they only will afect the ability to display a higher resolution. Not installing the video drivers would not make the computer monitor blank on initial startup of the computer

I'd follow the previous recommendations, but before you start pulling the thing apart, try one dumb thing:

Turn the computer on, then push the power button on the front of the monitor. I'm assuming that the monitor light on the front panel is staying amber and not going green when you power up?

I have one video card that just doesn't seem to be very good at transmitting the "monitor wake up signal" (whatever it is) to the monitor, so I have to hit the power button, then see if the LED changes color, then hit the monitor power button on the front of the monitor, if necessary.

Just a thought, and that might help narrow down your problem.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

Monitor problem

Thank you for all the responses. I can give some more information. The reason that the mother board was replaced was a problem with the video card. The monitor would remain at idle while the computer was running. I tested the monitor with another computer and it was not the monitor. The video card in Compaqs are located in the motherboard, so the whole thing had to be replaced. Once I had this replaced my monitor worked fine. About 3 weeks later my monitor started to buzz, literally, and flash idle and acitive but never actually showed any sign of life, no video. This monitor was replaced with a lovely cracked monitor. So that one was sent back and I received another monitor. It is an Hp Pavillian. I was working perfectly for 2 weeks. Then one day I came home to see that my computer had been turned off, shutdown. I rebooted it, to see that I had no monitor activity. The computer completely starts up, but no light on the monitor. I tried unplugging it and replugging it in different plugs, but still nothing. I hope that this information is helpful in finding anyone who might have an answer. Thanks!!!

Dou you have a household voltage problem? can you get a UPS (bout 50$ canadian for a small one, bout 30$ american for the powerbar version 300va) if you have a multimeter try metering the voltage coming from your outlets (please be careful) in America's it should be 115-120v) european is 230V I believe.

If it is high this could be explaining the monitor poping stuff, it usually won't affect TV's as quickly because they aren't as precise as a monitor, hence less sensitive electronics. other electronics have DC power supplies including your computer so it can safely operate at 130-135v with little ill effects. do you go through a high number of lightbulbs?

ucgallagal:

If all of the above suggestions do not work, and if the computer is still under warranty, were I you I'd start expending my efforts towards getting the computer replaced. Quite obviously a purchaser of a proprietary computer (or any electronic component) that's supposed to function in a certain manner has a right to expect the computer / component will function as it's supposed to.

Good luck.

Brangwen

Blog Entries
    Brangwen makes sense and is providing some GREAT advice!

If it were your car and you had this much trouble, would you still be sitting quiet? I don't think so! I would get after Compaq ASAP and tell them this one's a LEMON and that you would like it replaced!

The funny thing about lemons is that it can be a great design, hundreds of that particular model running great, and then comes along one machine -- (the one I usually get).

Harder

Thank you all

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your suggestions. I was finally able to get a hold of someone that could help. They are replacing my monitor free of charge. And now I am going to start to save up for a new computer, because I know I will need one soon!! Thank you all!!!

Question My Monitor Also Won't Power On At All.

My Hp monitor is about 3 or 4 yrs old, with no warranty left. It worked fine until I moved.
    At the new residence it suddenly won't power on, meaning no light will come on showing any power when it's turned on.

I borrowed a monitor and hooked it up at my new residence using "my" power cord from my dead monitor. It works fine. What could be wrong with my monitor, since it worked fine until I moved?
    I know the quick answer is buy another one. But I presently have no money. Is there anything I can try? Could something just be loose inside?

Again, to clarify, the monitor does nothing, has no power-on light, just acts like it's not plugged in to power at all, even though it's plugged in to power and hooked up correctly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Unhappy

didn't mean to post twice.
    Last edited by Explorer555; December 7th, 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Error:posted twice

HP Monitor trouble

I have the exact same problem with my HP monitor. It worked fine for a year and then about 2 months after it ran out of warranty it will not power on. No light, nothing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by I_W View Post
    What do you mean it doesn't "turn on at all?"
    • Do you see anything when the machine starts up?
    • Can you boot a DOS diskette and get video?
    • Can you boot in the Safe Mode and get video?
    • When you remove the video cable do you get a message on the screen of the monitor saying that there's no video signal?
    • Does the AC of the monitor turn on. In otherwords, is the monitor really on - getting AC?
    • Does the video work with another monitor? Take your machine to a friend's and try his/her monitor.
    • What video parameters have you set? Maybe you're exceeding the limitations of the monitor.

I was responsible for college computer labs and classrooms. A favorite trick of the students was to change the settings to have a screen resolution that was beyond the capabilities of the monitor. When that is done you would seem to have no video and just a blank screen when you boot up.

The answer, obviously, was to boot using the Safe Mode and change the resolution back to something within the capabilities of the monitor.

I also hav the same prblem....it wont turn on when i boot my pc

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information