+ Reply to Thread

What the hell is CRYPTNET.DLL????

Okay, I'm on Windows XP Pro.

I rebooted my computer one day and when I logged into my computer I get a dialog that says

ccApp: ccApp.exe - Bad Image
    "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\cryptnet.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

I'm really getting tired of all these errors happening on my computer...

What can I try besides 'chkdsk /F' and such?
    Last edited by Namie; December 26th, 2003 at 05:57 AM.

From what I've been able to find it's probably a corrupted system fine which could've been caused by any number of things not the least of which is a really malicious spyware virus I've been reading about. I would suggest you run the TrendMicro on-line virus scanner first then Ad-aware and/or Spybot. If this is the infection I've been reading a little about then you may have to uninstall all networking components and reinstall to reapir all the damage. Before you go that far however, I would run SFC (or your OS's equivalent) to check for corrupted system files. Also, if you can associate this file with a particular program that you have installed, you may have to re-name it to .bak or something and re-run the installation. Word to the wise: Know where you are surfing and what your are accepting when you click a "proceed" or "yes" button. Viri are like vampires: they can't get you unless you invite them in.
    Last edited by TOAD6147; December 26th, 2003 at 11:36 AM.
    "Education: That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the
    foolish their lack of understanding."
    Ambrose Bierce

I seem to get the error from Norton Anti-Virus 2003.... I also have this program called System Mechanic 4.0 installed... I think that messed with some setting on bootup because that program does this system check in the beginning like some Windows Repair and it was removing these files(Not entirely sure)...

Argh, one of my programs stopped working and I keep getting the CRYPTNET.DLL error from Norton Anti-Virus... I click OK and it keeps giving me the same message but eventually after clicking OK on several of them, the main norton interface opened so I did a full system scan and no virus were found... but the program seems to be corrupt... I have no idea how this happened!

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    if you are seeing that error...you need to replace the cryptnet.dll file. if you installed SP1 there should be one under the servicepackfiles\i386 folder

fyi, cryptnet.dll is used for SSL which is a protocol used when accessing https: sites.

Originally posted by PresterJohn
    if you are seeing that error...you need to replace the cryptnet.dll file. if you installed SP1 there should be one under the servicepackfiles\i386 folder

fyi, cryptnet.dll is used for SSL which is a protocol used when accessing https: sites.
    I wonder how that file got corrupted...

Where is servicepackfiles\i386 folder?
    I have SP1 installed but I didn't archive the files because that would take up a lot of space...

I found the directory C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

But the file cryptnet.dll is not there...

The only thing similar are
    crypt32.dll
    cryptdlg.dll
    cryptsvc.dll
    cryptui.dll

but no cryptnet.dll...

then use the one on the XP cd. insert the cd, cd to \i386 folder and invoke EXPAND...

syntax is: EXPAND cryptnet.dl_ c:\

the DLL will be extracted to c:\

copy the file to c:\winnt\system32

I'm on Windows XP so there is no C:\winnt it's C:\windows

please explain step by step... expand?

Wait I think I figured it out...
    I went to console and typed CD /d e:
    then expand cryptnet.dl_ c:\

then it said

Expanding cryptnet.dl_ to C:\cryptnet.dl_.
    cryptnet.dl_: 28671 bytes expanded to 53248 bytes, 85% increase

so do i rename the file to cryptnet.dll instead of the .dl_ and move it to C:\windows\system32 or leave it the same filename?

ahhh yes...c:\windows\system32

assuming D: is the drive letter assigned to your cdrom drive, the steps would look like this:

1) open a command prompt window
    2) d:
    3) cd \i386
    4) expand cryptnet.dl_ c:\cryptnet.dll

the DLL will be created on c:\
    copy to c:\windows\system32
    Last edited by PresterJohn; December 26th, 2003 at 06:59 PM.

Ok what the hell... the file was already in there... same file size too...

I still get this error when I open Norton Anti-Virus though

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\cryptnet.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Why is it saying this??

Ultimate Member
    Maybe it is a problem with Norton, mine seems to get corrupted frequently. Did you try re-installing Norton?

Ok, I uninstalled Norton and that System Mechanic program as well... is Norton supose to be using this cryptnet.dll file?

I'll install norton again and see if the error comes again...

I really don't think it's a simple norton program though because when I finally rebooted one day and first encountered this problem, my Desktop theme was reset to Windows Classic and my theme became corrupted so I had to redownload it...

isn't it that green stuff the weekens superman ?

I would recommend that you get rid of norton stuff and only use the virus detecting stuff
    everything else will cause more problems than it will fix.

wxp has everything it needs to keep itself working good.

I got my virus

from surfing HGTV dream homes, I went to the 2005 HGTV dream home site on Google and I got a flashed on my screen and before I could do anything the virus had me. For some reason my personal firewall, Filseclab personal firewall was shut down by the virus. And so was my virus protection AVG. So I do not think it matters where you go on the net. I have been surfing the net since 2000 all most 24/7, I am disabled, I cannot hardly walk so I cannot do much. This is the first time I got a virus. And I used to go to some sleazy site when I start out and that only because I did not know were I was go back then. I was just learning the computer, I am 60 years old and self-taught.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information