+ Reply to Thread

Scan Disk Problems

I'm not quite sure I understand. I'm far from an expert with this computer. By the way I'm running Windows Me. Not sure if that will make a difference. Do I first turn on my computer and then press f8 once? I tried that and nothing happened. I've never seen anything that said safe mode before. I appreciate the help but I guess I need a little better explanation. Sorry to be a pain. Thanks.

Margie

Have your finger ready on the F8 Key...
    Once the Windows Millennium logo appears, press the F8 key. I usually tap it a few times, just to be sure it 'got it'.

It's important that you do it within the first few seconds of the Windows ME logo appearing. If you did it right, you should see a text menu within a few seconds.

On some machines, holding the Ctrl key will aslo work.

- rp

Ok Thanks. I'll go try it now and let you know if it works.

Well I tried it twice and it didn't work. I could try the Ctrl key. Do I just press the Ctrl key or Ctrl +f8? Thanks again.

(by the way, welcome to TechIMO!)

Try hitting it sooner If you can hit it just before the WinME logo appears, that would be ideal. But, it's hard to know when it will appear.

Not Ctrl+F8, JUST Ctrl. You'll want to press and hold it while (or before) the logo appears.

Alternately , if those don't work... then you can get that text menu to appear automatically:

(1) Boot into Windows ME normally
    (2) From the Start menu choose Run...
    (3) Type msconfig in the box, and click [OK]
    (4) On the window that comes up, look on the bottom right corner for an [Advanced...] button, and click it.
    (5) Find the [x] Enable Startup menu option, and check it and click [OK].

Restart your computer, and the startup menu will appear automatically automatically.

When you're done, you can go back in there and uncheck that [ ] Enable Startup menu option.

- rp

Thanks RP. I think I'm really going to like TechIMO. I forgot that I had a book on Windows ME. When I looked up Safe Mode this is what it said: Click Start and then Shut Down. Click Restart and OK. Press and hold down the CTRL key until Microsoft Windows Start Up Menu appears. Then enter the number for Safe Mode and Enter. This worked for me and I was able to get scan disk to finish and did defrag also while I was at it. Thanks again for all your help. You will no doubt be hearing from me again because I usually have questions and sometimes it's hard to figure everything out by yourself. I'm glad I found this website.

I'm glad you found TechIMO too!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information