+ Reply to Thread

NMI:Parity Check/Memory Parity Error

This is for my work pc. When I try to shut it down it gives me the following error.
    Hardware Malfunction
    The system has halted

It works fine otherwise. Just when I try to shut it down.

Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar
    Don't know if this will help or not but...................................

NMI: Parity Check Error

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

Great link. I'll replace the memory and see if that helps any.

Ultimate Member
    If the memory isn't ECC, then it can't generate "parity" errors anyway. In that case, it'll rather be an I/O problem, e.g. on PCI or (remains of) ISA.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro View Post
    This is for my work pc. When I try to shut it down it gives me the following error.
    Hardware Malfunction
    The system has halted

It works fine otherwise. Just when I try to shut it down.

Thumbs up Solution to NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

Symptoms I had:
    1) screen showed a choppy image
    2) computer froze
    3) freezing was completely random, but during operation, not boot up
    4) my VGN-FZ190 laptop heated up hotter than the sun all the time (I thought it was going to be recalled)

Solution:
    1) Clean your laptop! That's it. No magic. No cost.
    I brought it to the Sony store in the Burlington, MA mall and female tech said she saw it once before and because the screen froze it must be the sound card. My sound card is attached to the mother board so I had to send it to San Diego and pay $700 for a new one. I told her I thought the overheating caused warping and other malfunctions but she didn't buy it. I'm an engineer and I thought I would try to fix it before trusting her idea. By chance because I told her it was overheating she blew an air can into the vents and blew out a ton of dust.

I decided to take it home, completely dismantle it, push every wire into its socket and tighten every screw and clean all dust from it. I did all this and it has miraculously fixed the problem and it is no longer overheating or getting a parity error. Morale: Don't trust a tech. Trust your instincts first. I also saved $700. By the way. I'm a real jedi.

Solution To: 'NMI: Parity Check / Parity Error'

Master Jedi is right.

I had the same problem whilst playing Eve Online. I thought it was the heavy demand on my gfx card, as it only seemed to happen while playing Eve.

I tried updating my bios, gfx card driver, etc. But to no avail...

Then I dismantled my tower, and discovered that the air intakes for the cpu, and gfx card cooling systems were totally clogged with thick dust - I leave my computer on 24/7, so you can imagine it's just hoovering dust all the time - I cleaned it all out, and it's as good as new!!

Needless to say, I always turn it off when I'm not using it now.

Hope this helps.

Smile SOLUTION

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON A DELL OPTIPLEX 330 DESKTOP. THE SOLUTION WAS TO TURN OF THE ONBOARD ETHERNET CARD AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bardstale View Post
    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON A DELL OPTIPLEX 330 DESKTOP. THE SOLUTION WAS TO TURN OF THE ONBOARD ETHERNET CARD AND THE PROBLEM WENT AWAY.
    Thats great, i was facing the same problem with dell and with your information its solved
    Thanks

Red face HP D310, same error when turn of

HP D310:
    newinstalled WinXP pro, no problem under the installation, but after Microsoft Updates(about 3 hours download) then when I turn it of, this error apper, and I have to hold the switch for about 10 sec to turn it completly of.

I have tried
    new RAM
    update ALL drivers
    deactivate the onboard NIC
    sware a lot,

but nothing help..............

ideas???????????????????

GLK

Talking Fixed for me

I had the green leds 1 2 3 lighten on my dell optiplex 755, so something was wrong... I removed everything, and of course it was the lst element I removed that was causing the "parity check" problem. my firewire card was dead ! as soon as I removed it, the green leds disappeared and everything went back in order...

good luck for anybody having this issue. if you keep on searching, you'll find the solution

I tried the ethernet on/off method but still get error any other solutions to try.

even tried new memory and bios battery, I will try cleaning out dustr, although it doesn't look too bad at all

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information